Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Best Crispy Sugar Cookies

These are my all time favorite cookies! They are so simple, and so delicious! 

I remember my Grandma making these all the time. I feel like she always had them available - either in the cookie jar or right on top in her deep freezer (YES these freeze very well!)

I've never been a fan of soft sugar cookies. I'd much rather prefer these. They aren't that glamorous, but you can definitely get creative and frost them or drizzle chocolate on them. I love how simple they look - I don't think you need a lot of decorations on these to know you want to take a big bite into them! 

With that said, my Grandma never glammed these up with toppings, so I didn't in this recipe. I'll add some textures next time I make these, but wanted to give you a base of the best sugar cookie you'll eat!

.
.
.
.
.
What You'll Need:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening (can use butter instead if you wish)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt

I used shortening since this is what my Grandma's recipe has. I know a few people who will turn their nose because it has shortening in them, so if you don't want to add it, just use 1 cup butter. 

Mix together sugar, butter, shortening, egg, and vanilla until well combined. 

Then, add in flour, baking soda, and salt. Combine until you get cookie dough.

Roll in balls the size of a walnut. I used my Medium Cookie Scoop to measure, then rolled each cookie individually.

Once you have them rolled, you'll want to take a small amount of sugar (about 1/4 cup) and place it in a shallow dish or plate. Take a small glass (with a flat bottom) dip it in the sugar and press down each ball of cookie. (I love my Silpat as you can tell by how used it is! This thing is amazing! I got mine at Sur La Table but you can find them anywhere. I've had mine for about 4 years... and they still work just as well as when I got them - Highly recommend!)

YUM. These are ready for the oven! Bake at 400* for 8-10 minutes. These will get dark fast so keep an eye on them!

Perfection.

Look at these beauties! You can't eat just one, I promise you. 

Store these in a tight fitting container or cookie jar. These can also be frozen to enjoy later! (Mine never last long enough to freeze them, they are so addicting!)






No comments:

Post a Comment