Saturday, May 13, 2017

Mother's Day Mango Cake

Tomorrow is Mother's Day, so to treat myself... I made a Mango Cake!!

Anyone that knows me knows my favorite fruit is mango. If mango is an option, I will be getting it.

When we lived in Boise, there was a self-serve wine bar called Bodovino that we would go to. Along with copious amounts of wine to try, they had delicious food. One of my favorites was their Mango Cheesecake. It was silky smooth cheesecake drenched in an amazing mango sauce! Oh I miss that cheesecake! 

So for Mother's Day, I thought I would treat myself to a mango cake. After searching old family recipes, I came across a recipe for Whipped Cream Cake. I needed something moist, but also durable so I thought I would give it a try. It turned out AMAZING.


.
.
.
.
.

What You'll Need:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup sifted cake flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt

FROSTING:
- 1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup+ powdered sugar
- 1 mango, diced + a few pieces set aside for topping, if desired

COMPOTE:
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup water, more or less


Ingredients for your cake. 
*If you don't have cake flour, you can make your own. I didn't have cake flour so I searched the web and found an easy solution. For every cup of flour, you'll want to take out 2 Tablespoons and add in 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch. Sift together 5 times, and BOOM. Cake flour. (Since this recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups, I took out 3 Tablespoons and added 3 Tablespoons of cornstarch)

You'll want to whip your whipping cream until stiff peaks. With a stand mixer on high, this should only take about a minute or two. Then you'll want to add in one egg and half the sugar, mix, then add in remaining egg and sugar. Mix again. Once that is mixed, add in the vanilla.

When that is all mixed, you'll want to take your sifted cake flour and fold it in gently. 

BEAUTIFUL!

Cover two cake pans with parchment paper on the bottom, and spray generously with cooking spray so the cakes don't stick. Add in your batter and spread evenly! Bake these bad boys in a 350* oven for about 15 minutes (my oven runs hot... so mine were only in there 13 minutes). Make sure you keep an eye on them! They should be golden brown :) 

Once your cakes are out of the oven, start your compote. Take your diced mango and put it in a pot with vanilla, lemon juice, and water. Let it simmer so the mango juices can thicken and make it SO GOOD.

When your compote is simmering, start making your frosting! (I LOVE cream cheese frosting, but make whichever frosting you want) Take the softened cream cheese and mix it with the softened butter. Once that is mixed, add in about a cup of powdered sugar. You can adjust the sweetness to more or less. I don't like my frosting too sweet, so a cup was enough for me. Some people like it really sweet. If thats you, add closer to 2 cups. 
Once that is all mixed add a dash of vanilla and your diced mango. Give it a good mix!

Check your compote for consistency. It should be thickened, but not super thick. Once it's at your desired consistency, remove from heat and let cool.

Once your compote is cooled, its time to build the layers! Put your compote on top of the bottom layer. Once that is on, cover the compote with some of that delicious mango frosting. Next, pile on the other layer of cake. Frost the cake allllllll over. Get mango everywhere! You can add in the reserved diced mango for garnish on top, or I used the remaining compote for my topping. It was tart next to the sweet frosting... perfect combination! 
My husband doesn't like cake, so I will enjoy this whole. freaking. cake. Happy Mother's Day to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment